Handcrafted Ceramics by Swan Whigham

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Snail's pace

Last night I went to Wild Child Arts to glaze 6 tumblers and 4 covered jars. I worked for 2 hours and still did not finish glazing! I did glaze the insides of each piece in a lovely "crazed copper" glaze- I'm really excited to see how it turns out. "Crazed" means the glaze has a nice crackled effect throughout. It is still food safe, though. The outside of the pieces I accented with black under-glaze to bring out the drawings and sculpted surfaces. I also have two starfish covered jars to glaze over at Sparkle Plenty studio.
Life definitely revolves around my family, so pottery is moving along at a snail's pace. I am actually fine with that, and will kick it up a notch from time to time if I need to. I'm just happy it is going and that I have my foot in the door. And yes, I have made a sale on Etsy! Woohoo! Sure, it was from my mother-in-law who is giving it as a wedding gift, but I am still thrilled! Thanks for your support, Faye!
I've also been thinking a lot about what it takes to be really successful in pottery. I've following some blogs of other potters and I am learning a little about how much time and effort is really needed to make a living off pottery. It's not easy. I came to realization that I may never be that successful- as long as my kids are at home. I also came to realize that if I have to sacrifice this lovely family lifestyle when circumstances don't drag me to work full-time, I don't want it. I am striving for balance, and I feel good about how things are going right now. I have a great supportive husband, two of most beautiful children in the world (ahem), a cute house (yes, cute...even though the ceiling is caving in in some places...new roof, new roof, new roof), friends and family, service through church, and a fun little Etsy shop. And I've managed to work out here and there and bake some fun food! I feel alright working in pottery at a snail's pace. Slow and steady wins the race! Anyway, it's working for me right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment